Spencer Mission Picture

Spencer Mission Picture

Monday, March 17, 2014

Kiss Me, I'm Iowaish :)


March 17, 2014
HAPPY ST. PATTY's DAY!!!

First off, I LOVE MY MISSION!!! We are seeing a lot of miracles and blessings here in Iowa City.
My Companion, Elder Powell is from San Diego, and he LOVES the weather here... J well at least when it gets up to 60 degrees.

We have a lot of people we’re teaching and can’t wait for them to truly come unto Christ.
So this week has been really good for us; and for me personally. In one of the mission apartments, I came across Glenn Becks conversion story. And he really emphasizes Thomas Jefferson's quote:

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

I had heard that quote before, (probably from Dad), but I had forgotten it, this week has been a soul search for my companion and I.
When I was first assigned to Iowa City, my companion told me that the first 6 months is figuring out HOW to be a Missionary. The next 6 months is WHO we are personally. The third 6 months is trying to put the two together, then the last 6 months is really when a missionary can reach his full potential, really excel, and be the best missionary that they will be in these 2 years. (I suppose Sisters accomplish this in less time)

Well, here I am at 7 months.  And it’s true, the Devil really is working on us. But glory to God, Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven!  I LOVE my mission.
Helaman 5:

12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
2 Nephi 31:

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
Mosiah 5:

15 Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen.
The Church is true, Jesus Christ is our Savior and OUR BEST FRIEND.  Joseph Smith is a prophet and was used to restore Christ’s church.  The Book of Mormon is true.  We invite all men to read and pray about it, Prove God and Question with Boldness.  He will confirm the truth of it.  Thomas S. Monson is the living Prophet today.

I love you all.
Elder Spencer D. Allred

No comments:

Post a Comment